Saturday, November 14, 2009

Beeswing




Beeswing was a bottle baby. I had 4 baby kittens, with eyes barely open, that we took away from feral mothers. I kept the kittens in a baasket and took them everywhere with me because they had to be fed every few hours with a little baby bottle. So they went to work with me every day, and went visiting with me, and even went to a day-long symposium in Portland. I sat at the back of the room and when they got restless, would take into the restroom and feed them. During one feeding, our key speaker came in and was quite smitten with them. 6 years later, I was at a gardening gala and was seated at the same table as the speaker from the symposium. I hadn't seen her for 6 years, but after staring at me for a few moments, she blurted "Oh my God! You're the kitten woman!" It's funny what we remember.
Beeswing was an ugly duckling. She was a scrawney, dull coated little thing and no one would take her, so I decided to keep her. As she grew, we realized that she had extra thumbs that were pretty long. When she walks, it looks like she's walking on stiletto heels. She also has a silver undercoat, and when she bends her elbow, the undercoat shows and looks like angel wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment